You have managed to sell your house, thanks to Quick Move Now, and all that is left is to make sure the move itself goes as smoothly as the sale did. Not only do we take the stress and the worry out of the sale of your property, we have also compiled an essential guide to your big move.
By making sure you plan ahead and don’t leave your packing until the night before, you can be sure that your move will go according to plan. Selling your house and moving into your new dream home does not need to be a headache. So take a deep breath, put the kettle on and have a read through our check list of what you need to do before the move.
As long as you can put a ‘check’ by all of the essentials on our list by moving day, everything will go smoothly.
- Confirm your moving date a few weeks before you are due to leave.
- Ensure your home insurance cover starts at your new property on moving day and check it covers you for the move itself.
- Get quotes from a few removal firms, checking their references and insurance limits.
- Notify all the utility companies of your impending move.
- De-clutter. A move is the perfect excuse to clear out all of your unwanted stuff.
- Start packing non essentials, such as books and out of season clothes, early on.
- Arrange for your mail redirection and cancel any milk or papers you may have delivered.
- Confirm times for collecting the keys to your new home and gather together all the keys you have for your current property.
- Draw out a layout of your new home so the removal firm knows where to put the boxes!
- Arrange for someone to look after your children and pets during the move itself.
There are a whole host of people and companies that you need to notify when you sell your house and move somewhere new. Here we have listed the most important ones in a bid to give you one less thing to worry about in the run up to moving day.
- Utility companies
- TV and internet providers
- TV licensing
- Credit card and store card companies
- Bank and Building Society
- The local council
- DVLA – you must change the address on your driving licence
- Your employers and your children’s schools
- Any subscriptions you may have
- Your family and friends
And our final treat to you is our top tips for perfect packing. Selling your house wasn’t as hard as you expected and packing doesn’t have to be either.
- Start packing early. It will inevitably take you longer when you start going through old things and reminiscing.
- Get boxes of varying sizes, tape and bubble wrap early on. Sandwich bags with sticky labels are great for keeping nuts and bolts safe. Keep newspapers to line the boxes.
- Start at the top of the house and work your way down, ensuring you pack one room up at a time. Make sure you label boxes clearly.
- Use blankets to keep breakables safe.
- Don’t fill boxes to the top, as they will be too heavy. Pack heavy items in smaller boxes.
- Keep your hazardous materials, such as cleaning sprays and bleach, separately from anything else so they don’t spill and ruin other items.
- Pack an overnight box with the essentials you will need for your first night in your new home. Include the kettle, tea, coffee, toilet roll, toothbrushes and dish cloths, as well as cups and plates.
- Keep all your important documents together and keep them safe.
Well, that’s it. You are fully briefed and we have no doubt your house move will go as smoothly as your house sale did.
Now the only thing you need to remember is where you packed the bubbly!