Are you desperate to give your house a bit of a makeover but don’t have the money to call in an interior designer?
Well today is your lucky day, as we happen to know an interior designer who has been sharing her secrets for brightening up even the dullest of rooms in a splash – of paint!
And, she assures us, by concentrating on one room at a time and picking out just five easy things to change, your home renovations don’t need to send you begging to the bank for an extension to your mortgage.
As she looked around my sitting room, with its cream walls, cream curtains, beige carpet and light brown sofa with cushions all differing shades of – yep, you guessed it – brown, I could see the sheer agony twisting inside her.
Colour, you need some colour!
Apparently that colour can come in all different shapes and sizes, but by injecting some different shades into a room you will give it a whole new lease of life.
So throw out your beige cushions and grab a paint brush and some bright fabric, as Quick Move Now talks you through our top five tips for making your abode a delight to behold.
- Grab your paintbrush and get painting. Just add a splash of colour to one wall and you will give your room a whole new outlook. Choose a colour that is bright and airy and not too overpowering, particularly if you have a reasonably small space.
- Sticking with the same colour scheme throughout, start to accessorise. Pick some nice material, dig out your sewing machine (Cath Kidston is surely wholly responsible for a surge in women stitching and sewing their way to a beautiful home) and get re-covering those cushions. Just two or three bright cushions set on a lighter coloured sofa will bring it back to life.
- And just when you thought it was safe to put the thimble away, the curtains need your attention. You don’t need to buy a whole new set but can liven up your old ones by adding blocks of coloured material, either vertically along the edge or horizontally across the middle.
- A rug is the perfect way of covering up a carpet that may have seen better days. It also adds a chunk of colour right in the middle of the room.
- The final tip our interior design guru offered was to invest in some lamps. Buy a table lamp or uplighter for the corner of your lounge and you will create a completely different atmosphere. If you’re feeling brave try getting a lampshade that matches your chosen feature colour. Colour co-ordination is key.
So there you have it; five fairly simple and cheap ways to liven up your lounge and give your home a magnificent makeover.